Whew, was it ever a month of good stuff to love! Here’s a peek at some of what had me talkin’ (and sendin’ emails to friends) in January:
1) An Object of Beauty: I know a LOT about Steve Martin the Comedian (he’s one of my faves; seriously, Father of the Bride? I will drop everything to watch it). But I knew very little about Steve Martin the Author. I’d seen his novella-turned-movie “Shop Girl,” but this new book of his, set in the high-paced world of New York City’s art industry, really grabbed my attention. An engaging read (especially for this art and book lover) and, well, I’m even more in love with Steve Martin now. Oh, AND he plays the banjo!! Seriously, that man…I’m in awe.
2) Misfits: In the past 3 weeks, I have sent at least half-dozen emails and Facebook messages to friends with a link to the pilot of this show and a plea to “Please get hooked on this show. Please, please, please.” A British comedy-drama, Misfits is about a group of juvenile delinquents who, because of a freak storm, develop special powers. Sounds hokey right? I thought so at first, too. But an entertainment blogger I follow would not shut up about how good it is, so I thought I’d give it a try. Two episodes in and I was TOTALLY hooked. Seriously, it’s crazygood. And so unique from anything else I’ve ever seen on TV. You’ll go mad for it (was that British of me to say? ;) Oh, and speaking of the Brits, they are way more open about language and sexuality and well…what have you, so, be mindful of that if you decide to watch!)
3) Walk the Moon: Newcomers from my Midwestern neck-of-the-woods (Cincinnati), with a member who’s a Ball State grad too!, I discovered Walk the Moon around New Year’s, when I saw the video for this band’s “Anna Sun” and bopped around the house to it for about a week straight (seriously, watch it ’til the end and you’ll want to have a paint fight with your friends in a corn field). Then I had to get their debut album and, as luck would have it, they happened to be performing in Muncie this past weekend and put on one heck of a show. I can’t wait to see where their career goes and I definitely think they’re ones to watch!
4) Speukloos Spread: I have the lovely Clary to thank for introducing me to this. Clary and I share a mutual love for Nutella. And, I think (if I remember the story from Clary right), she had this spread when she visited a Waffles and Dinges in NYC. I won a little contest Clary threw on her blog, and she sent a tub of this my way. And OMG IS IT AMAZING. Like, Nutella X 12. Like, ground up cinnamon Teddy Grahams on a cookie. I’m embarrassed to admit this, but I ate the WHOLE TUB in a month’s time. Like, WHOA.
5) My Frye Boots: Oh ladies, can you believe I splurged on a pair of these? But I decided, you know what, I worked my BEE-hind off in 2010 and I deserved it. That and I got them for a major discount on Amazon Marketplace. And now, I am drunk off the smell of their leather-y goodness and I know I’ll have them for years and years to come.
6) Blue Valentine: I have been s-t-a-l-k-i-n-g this movie ever since I first heard about it at Sundance last year. If y’all didn’t know this about me, I have a bit of a crush on Ryan Gosling ;), but more than anything, I just admire the heck out of him as an actor. And he and Michelle? In this film? They DO NOT DISAPPOINT. It’s heavy subject material (a couple’s marriage falling apart), but seriously some of the best acting I’ve ever seen. A critic on Twitter wrote, “Ryan and Michelle deliver performances that feel so real, they transcend acting.” I couldn’t think of a better way to describe it.
7) The King’s Speech: Speaking of fab movies, this one is right up there too. (January is always heavy on films for me because, as I mentioned before, I’m kind of a film/awards show junkie!). Colin Firth is just incredible in this, playing King George VI, who had a horrible speech impediment. If you’ve missed this one, it’s definitely worth seeing and, no doubt, Colin will be holding an Oscar come February.