I’ve always enjoyed the randomness of these Ten on Tuesday posts and wanted to bring the feature back with a few updates for the look and feel of the new blog! Hope you have fun with these!
ALL ABOUT THE 90′s!
1. Which boy band was your favorite and your favorite song? Oh gosh, I guess it depends on the year you would have asked me! In high school (sophomore and junior years), I trended toward Backstreet Boys. But by senior year/frosh year of college, it was allll about *NSYNC. This would have been their “No Strings Attached” era, and I don’t know an 18-year-old girl who DIDN’T own that CD (ahh…remember the physical act of buying CDs?) Writing about that CD, I instantly remembered “Bye Bye Bye” but had to Google the sappy love song that was on that album that you couldn’t escape circa 2000. Ladies, remember this song?! (Watching this video now is hilarious…it’s like a precursor to the set of the Twilight franchise).
2. Your favorite spice girl? That would be Posh.
3. Did you ever try the orbit drink? I had to Google it, so there’s your answer. But I DO remember two drinks of the ’90s that I had plenty of: Clearly Canadian (remember that?!) and Fruitopia (every day at lunch!). I also loved the Snapple lady.
4. What brand of clothing were you in to? Decide to order some shirts with names of snowboard and surfing companies on them, even though you’ve never done either sport. — This HILARIOUS Buzzfeed countdown sums up the trends of the era nicely.
5. Did you watch TGIF? Ummmm..I think the better question is Who DIDN’T watch TGIF?! Though, there’s kind of a dividing era of TGIF. If you’re around the age of 30 (like me), your TGIF meant episodes of Full House, Perfect Strangers and Family Matters. If you’re in your mid-20s (as are students who work for me at Ball State), well, it was Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Boy Meets World (which, when word hit that a sequel series of Boy Meets World was in the works, I think every college student I’m friends with on Facebook collectively gasped)
6. What news story in the 90′s do you recall? OJ Simpson, OJ Simpson and OJ Simpson (we even got to watch the verdict in 8th grade study hall). Also, the ’96 Olympics. Watching Kerri Strug nail that vault with my best friends is etched into my memory for life. And Bill Clinton. In the news. For everything. Also, thanks to the wonderful Channel One (remember THAT?!) I can still picture the likes of Anderson Cooper and Lisa Ling reporting internationally from places like Bosnia and Uganda.
7. List which you think had the best talent. Jessica Simpson, Mandy Moore, Brittney Spears, and Christina Aguilera. This is such an amusing question, given where all these ladies are now, but if I had to rank ‘em: Britney (come ON …she was the original ’90s pop queen), Christina (better vocals than Brit), Jessica and Mandy Moore (who HAS to regret singing a song about candy).
8. Did Marilyn Manson creep you out? Not really; I remember thinking his gothy grunge appearance on TRL (remember THAT?!) was kind of a refreshing change of pace from all the sudsy pop queens and kings (see Questions 1 and 7) that dominated the air waves otherwise.
10. A picture of you in the 90′s. I’ve got about 10 photo albums at my parents (exclusively from the high school years – haha), but all I could find here at home was one of my senior photos, so here you go!
Ten on Tuesday topics from Roots and Rings