1) Over the weekend we got a significant snowfall and it was so pretty to see that white stuff come down. Unfortunately, I was hit hard with a head cold that meant I was inside much of Saturday. So Nick bundled Dean up and took him out solo for his first little outing in the snow (and riding in style in the sled my brother got him for his birthday in October!)
2) I was feeling better Sunday so we ventured out to run errands. High on that list? Purchasing a new couch for our living room! Yes, just a few years ago we bought a gorgeous Room & Board couch (that we’ll be selling if anyone is interested!) but the reality was that couch was not a great investment. Beautiful? Yes. But soon enough, not practical for this stage of our lives. So now that we’re in full-on family mode, we wanted a sectional that we could all lounge on. Comfort was No. 1 on the list and you guys, this is what we bought. It might be the MOST comfortable couch I’ve ever sunk into. I can’t wait for it to arrive and then sleep on it for a week straight.
3) Also while out shopping for Xmas gifts, we started the tradition of buying Dean his first Hallmark Keepsake Ornament. We thought this one was SO perfect. Anybody else do this tradition for their kiddos? Nick and I love that both our parents did this for us and I still get a little thrill taking my ornaments out of the box with years like “1987″ and “1992″ written inside them in my mom’s handwriting.
4) So as if going to see Justin Timberlake wasn’t enough to make last week an eventful one, I also decided to color my hair. As in, much darker. Went with a little ombré (and might make that look a bit more pronounced the next go round). I haven’t had my hair dark like this since high school, making it a nice reminder that sometimes it’s fun just to do something different. We’ll see how long I keep it — probably until spring when I crave it lighter again.
5) I love seeing everyone’s Christmas cards pour in this time of year. Sadly, I made the last-minute call NOT to do ours this year. We just have a lot of stuff going on right now (big-ticket purchase items for the house included) that put them out of our budget (stamps are expensive, yo!). But hope to bring them back next year! (I’m taking solace in knowing no matter what we would have come up with, it wouldn’t have topped “Christmas Jammies”!.
6) Speaking of the holidays, I feel woefully behind on Xmas spirit this year. I blame it on the fact Thanksgiving was a week later, right? Who else has been thrown off by this?! It might also be that I can’t seem to keep my eyes open long enough to make it through any of my favorite Xmas movies (both Love Actually and National Lampoon’s Xmas Vacation so far … yikes! Hoping I fare better with The Family Stone! Darn you parenthood!)
7) On the topic of movies, I really, really, REALLY want to see American Hustle in the movie theaters soon. Date night with my man for that one. The buzz on it has been tremendous and I love all the people involved (and that it was based on a true story)! What movies do you want to see this holiday season? I also want to see August: Osage County and Her.
8) Unrelated, but I was feeling pretty good about this stage in my life until I read this TIME list of 30 AMAZING people under the age of 30 and good grief … equal parts fascinated and depressed by that one!
9) Bright spots for the winter season (I’ll take all that I can get!) is the pending return of Downton Abbey! I saw the cast on Good Morning America last week and now I can’t WAIT for the premiere on January 5!
10) Still on our list of holiday fun? Taking Dean to see Santa. Anybody want to place bets on whether he’ll love his lap or hate it? I’m SO curious to see how he does. In the meantime, I’ll have fun looking at these.