1) Better Oats’ RAW Pure & Simple Oatmeal: Here’s the thing—I love oatmeal. But I hate making it. My husband can attest that when milk and the boiling of it are involved, I inevitably scorch the heck out of the pan. Soooo, I took a liking some time ago to Kashi Instant Oatmeal. But THEN, on a recent shopping expedition to Meijer this month, I spotted this new brand on the shelves. And people, I cannot believe it’s instant as it tastes exactly like it’s homemade. The best part? There’s not an speck of anything artificial about it! Just oats and some flax. Pour a little honey and some walnuts on top and I have a breakfast that’s healthy for me in five minutes. Love starting my day that way!
2) Bombay Bicycle Club’s “A Different Kind of Fix”: I first heard of this band when one of their songs appeared on the Twilight Eclipse soundtrack (which, side tangent, aren’t those the BEST soundtracks?!). Ever since, I’ve become a big fan of these baby-faced boys and I was giddy waiting on this new album of theirs to drop this week after having sampled a few of the tracks. “A Different Kind of Fix” happens to feature what—for me—has been the song of the summer. Listen to “Shuffle” and then see if YOU can get that piano loop out of your head—it’s so infectious!
3) Beirut’s “The Rip Tide”: Ahh…this band!! I cannot say in enough words how much I love it, but when I hear their frontman, Zach Condon, sing, it’s like a little part of me melts inside. His voice is SO distinct! Add those horns and accordions this band is known for, and you have a sound that just mesmerizes me. So many songs I love on this latest effort of theirs, but give “Santa Fe” and “East Harlem” a whirl and then see if you’re not convinced to buy the whole album.
4) My new Fossil watch: One look at the Bridgette in the Fossil catalog that landed in my mailbox in August and I was a smitten kitten. Somehow, this year, I became a watch person again, after not having worn one for years. Which meant, for a while there, I was pilfing my husband’s watch to keep time at weddings. This style has the perfect blend of modern and masculine that I tend to lean toward for accessories and I’ve already gotten so many compliments (Bonus? The dials glow-in-the-dark!)
5) Crazy, Stupid, Love: OK, so this film came out at the tail end of July. Which means I didn’t have time to squeeze it in last month’s “What I’m Lovin’” installment. But that’s OK, because, basically, I’ve been loving this movie since I first saw stills of Ryan Gosling in a suit filming it over a year ago :) Oh man…how good was this movie?! You know if you saw it. And if you didn’t, well, it involves a sweet storyline between Steve Carrell and Julianne Moore. And lots of Ryan Gosling. His abs in particular. WHY HAVEN’T YOU SEEN IT ALREADY?!!!
6) The Help: Is it or is it not the Summer of Emma Stone? You can’t escape that girl at the cinema, but if she keeps turning in performances like she did in “The Help,” I’ll be OK with that! I was torn going into this film because I’d loved the book SO much when I read it a few years ago for a book club pick and the trailer? Well, it totally made it look like a chick flick (I was left thinking, “Where’s the meat of this story?”) But then, the film itself did NOT disappoint. Matter of fact, I was left teary-eyed in more than one spot! Wonderful performances from an all-star cast — I wouldn’t be surprised if Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer get Oscar nods for their portrayals of Aibileen and Minny. Great pick to take your mom or grandma to!