1) “Room” by Emma Donoghue: My friend Stacey picked this book for our local book club’s fall selection and I was COMPLETELY wrapped up in its pages from start to finish. It’s such a fast read, with a storyline that is original and harrowing but beautiful at the same time. I gushed about it earlier this month over on my GoodReads profile. Hands down one of the best books of 2010. One of those books you’ll finish and then have to go tell everyone you know to pick up. Kind of like I’m doing here :)
2) “Love & Other Drugs”: It’s ridiculous how long I’ve been waiting to see this film. Anne Hathaway is one of my favorite actresses and Jake Gyllenhaal, well…he’s dreaaammmyyyy with a capital “D.” These two, to me, are our generation’s Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. And since I just came back from a showing of this film tonight, I can confirm that it is good. Like, SO SO good. Like, whew, a lot of scenes of…well, flesh. I’ll say flesh and leave it at that. But add that it’s Jake’s flesh, and that you might need something to fan yourself with and….. OK, shushing now. But not before plugging the trailer – which is SO cute and has one of my favorite INXS songs in it.
3) Pampered Chef Food Chopper: You’re probably looking at that thing going, “Huh? Really??! A food chopper?” But Internet peeps, this kitchen doo-dad has been LIFE-CHANGING. I’m embarrassed to say it was a long-ago gift from Nick’s mom/sister that I had forgotten I’d had until I was cleaning the cupboards and Nick spotted it earlier this month. Since then, it’s been used at least 3 times a week on everything from celery and carrots to onions and broccolli. The best review I can give it is saying I can now chop up an onion in one minute, with no tears. That’s what you call getting your $30 worth, right there.
4) “Modern Family”: I’m a total late-comer to the “Modern Family” fanwagon, but man oh man, better late than never to this laughter train. I decided to wait until the first season came out on DVD to see what all the fuzz was about. And then, I begged Nick (who is Anti-Sitcom) to watch it with me. Just, you know, ONE episode. We watched that first episode, came to this scene and seriously about fell off the couch. After that, he was sold and we watched the entire season in one weekend. Can I just say I think Cameron is the most hilarious and adorable character on TV right now? His Fizbo the Clown episode was my favorite (even though, like Phil, I hate clowns). On to Season 2!
5) Pumpkin Pie: You think I could end a favorite things post for November and not give a nod to Thanksgiving? Pumpkin pie (more specifically, my mother’s pumpkin pie) is my FAVORITE pie on the planet. One of those things you look forward to devouring all year long. Needless to say, in one week’s time, I’ve had my fair share. And by fair share, I mean darn near an entire pie. That treadmill is BEGGING me to jump back on it now!